Season’s Greetings from the team at UHQ!
With Thanksgiving 2021 under our belts, it’s about that time to decorate your home for the holidays! It’ a family tradition for most families every year but, don’t forget that it should be done carefully to prevent personal injury or electrical & fire emergencies.
Check out these great tips from the crew at UHQ Construction (Indianapolis, Indiana) who specializes in exterior renovations such as Siding, Roofing, Windows, and more!
- Make sure your lights are rated for Outdoor/Exterior. Indoor lights should only be used indoors in dry places. Outdoor lights are specially designed to handle the elements in wet winter conditions. Use the right lights in the right places!
- Inspect each string of lights new or old, check for broken or cracked bulbs. Check sockets for damaged wires and loose connections. Discard damaged sets or repair them before using. The risk of fire is not worth it!
Before you get up on a ladder make sure you remember these next three pro ladder safety tips!
- Make sure your ladder will extend at least 3 feet above where you are attaching the lights to. You should never stand on the top of the ladder! If you have to do that your ladder is too short!
- Also double check to make sure your ladder is wiped down and dry when working outside in winter conditions. It’s best to wear slip resistant shoes and gloves, also try and avoid baggy clothing that may get snagged or in the way.
- Make sure you have a spotter to help with holding your ladder when in use. When on the ladder do your best to be aware of not over reaching it’s always better to re-adjust positioning then to lose balance!
- We highly recommend a good gutter cleaning and/or gutter guards to prevent the buildup of leaves, branches, and or debris that may be clogging up the gutters and downspouts of your home. Overflowing gutters can cause electrical hazards if it comes in contact with your lights.
- Do not tack or nail into the electrical cord when hanging lights. Make sure to use clips that will safely attach lights to the house. When secured tightly this will help prevent with damage as well! Prevent damaging lights and causing shorts!
- Make sure to use heavy-duty extension cords, and double check to confirm they are designated for outdoor use. You can overload extension cords by using more than three sets of standard lights per cord.
- When running extension cords to lights or other decorations outdoors, make sure they are ran in low-traffic areas so they are no walked on, damaged or tripped over.
- Outdoor lighting and inflatable holiday decorations should be plugged into circuits protected by GFCI (Those plugs you have in your bathroom or kitchen near water sources with the buttons to reset if it trips). GFCIs help to prevent electrocution by shutting off the circuit if it trips.
Don’t forget to periodically check lights and decorations throughout the season to ensure they continue to operate safely.
UHQ Construction wants you to have a very safe and injury free holiday! Thanks again for taking a look at these tips we have put together for you. If you are working outside on your home and notice anything that needs addressed on the exterior of your home UHQ is here for you call or text (317) 884-3140 or click here to schedule a free estimate!
With the proper precautions outside of your home, you can prevent hazards and focus more on friends and family during the holidays.
Best Holiday Wishes,
Cory Getz and The UHQ Construction Crew!
Since 2014, UHQ Construction has been delivering effective solutions for every kind of roofing, siding, window, or other home exterior issue. We are a family-owned and -operated exterior replacement company that doesn’t believe in skimping on either materials or workmanship. Because of our dedication to our craft, UHQ Construction has received the prestigious James Hardie Elite Preferred contractor status, meaning that we only use the best products around and install them to last.
Give us a call or text (317) 884-3140 or click here to schedule a free estimate and Consultation with one of our skilled Exterior Renovation Experts.