If you haven’t cleaned the vinyl siding on your Indianapolis, IN home in a while, it’s time to give it a makeover. Vinyl siding is a low-maintenance material that can be cleaned effectively with homemade solutions. You can use items that are readily available in your home or easily acquired from local stores.
In this guide, we’ll share some of the best homemade vinyl siding cleaner recipes to rejuvenate your siding, brought to you by UHQ Construction, your premier home exterior remodeling company in Indianapolis, Indiana, and surrounding areas.
Considering replacing your siding?
Enter your zip code below to see our service areas.
Basic Vinyl Siding Cleaner
For routine dirt and grime, you can create a simple cleaning solution. Mix 1/3 cup of trisodium phosphate and 1/3 cup of powdered laundry detergent in a gallon of hot water. You can also use room temperature water for this mix. Apply this solution with a brush or a power washer from bottom to top. After a few minutes, rinse from top to bottom. Always wear gloves when working with chemicals to protect your skin.
For Siding Mold
If your siding has mold, mildew, or algae, you’ll need a more potent solution. Add a quart of household chlorine bleach to the basic vinyl siding cleaner recipe and use it on mold-covered areas.
If you prefer an eco-friendly approach, create a vinegar solution using a mixture of 70% water and 30% white vinegar. Leave the solution on for about ten minutes before rinsing. Be sure to wear protective gear, like a face mask.
Environment-Friendly Mold Cleaner
If bleach or vinegar isn’t effective, try mixing half a teaspoon of clove oil in two quarts of water. Use this solution to clean areas covered with mold. The clove oil solution will eliminate mold spores, preventing mold from returning.
For Mold and Insects
If you’re dealing with both mold and insects, such as ants, household borax can be your solution. Dissolve one cup of household borax in a gallon of hot water and scrub it on areas with mold. This will also help keep ants and other insects away from your siding.
While DIY cleaning is an excellent choice for many homeowners, there are pros and cons to consider:
- Cost-Effective: DIY cleaning materials, like household cleaning chemicals and pressure washers, are affordable and easily accessible at local stores. Renting a pressure washer costs around $100 for a full day, significantly cheaper than hiring professionals.
- Easy to Use: The cleaning process is straightforward. For light cleaning, a brush and your chosen solution are sufficient. For tougher mold and mildew, a pressure washer can be used, which is also user-friendly.
- Safety: Cleaning upper parts of your siding might require a ladder, which can be challenging for homeowners with limited mobility or safety concerns.
- Quality of Work: You may need professional assistance to reach difficult spots, especially when using a pressure washer to avoid damaging your siding.
- Time: Cleaning your home’s exterior can be time-consuming, especially for multi-story homes. Hiring professionals frees up your time for other activities.
If DIY methods don’t solve your siding issues, UHQ Construction is here to help. We specialize in exterior remodeling, including siding repair and replacement services.
Upgrade Your Indianapolis, IN Home with James Hardie Siding
Are you tired of spending your weekends cleaning? Consider upgrading your home’s exterior with James Hardie fiber cement siding. It’s a durable and low-maintenance choice that can give you more free time to enjoy Indianapolis with your loved ones.
We recommend visiting the Children’s Museum of Indianapolis, where you can explore the new Dinosphere® indoor exhibit or experience the excitement of Speedway Indoor Karting. Our customers love James Hardie siding for its durability and design options. If you’re curious about fiber cement siding, check out our blog post on common James Hardie FAQs.
When you’re ready to experience the benefits of James Hardie siding, contact UHQ Construction for your siding replacement project. Our service areas include Carmel, Danville, Fishers, Bloomington, and other surrounding Indianapolis areas.
Let UHQ Be Your Home’s Trusted Remodeler
Contact UHQ Construction for your siding repair or any other exterior project. Call us today at (317) 953-4969 or fill out our online form for a free quote. We serve homeowners in Indianapolis, Greenwood, Zionsville, Geist, Carmel, and other cities throughout Indiana.